Friday, March 19, 2010

The Field Comes to an End.


After 3 weeks of enduring nature and its unforgiving rain I can gladly say its over. The Army of course has a phrase for when you are cold, wet/muddy, and tired. Repeatedly we are told to "Embrace the Suck." That short phrase encompasses everything bad that can/does happen while in the field. In reality things are never as bad as they seem and honestly the grueling part was not being able to talk to my wife nightly and hearing about her day. Listening to her tell me the happenings of her day makes me feel close to her even when I'm states away.

My adventures this week included me being the bad guy during 3 missions for other groups of people to have their leadership evaluated. One thing that I have learned is that when you fake getting killed make sure you die face down so the rain doesn't pelt your face.... yeah noone gave me that hint before.

Now with plenty of stories to share I can proudly say I have just 3 short weeks before I enter the ranks of the Army Officer. If you would have told me 4 years ago while I was just a PFC that I would be back at the same base training to become a 2nd Lt. I would have never believed it. At the time it was just a far off dream I had that probably would never get fulfilled.

After doing a self assessment over the past 3 years I can definately say there were many hardships and experiences good/bad but through it all my unyeilding determination and help from God (things fell into place exactly how/when they needed to for things to work out) I made it to the biggest career goal I had.

I do hate that some of my relatives that served in the military passed away years before and will not be able to witness such a defining moment. I really do believe they would be proud of me.

Now...I get to relax and unwind until next time. Enjoy life and be happy!

3 comments:

  1. "when you fake getting killed make sure you die face down so the rain doesn't pelt your face." LOL I LOVED that part!! I'll make sure that when I fake getting killed I'll die face down. That was a great blog and I am so glad OCS is nearing the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you could pretend to die like they do in the movies and make a big production of grabbing your chest, swooning,turning around and around while stumbling and finally keeling over with your arms sheilding your entire face. Then with your last Hollywood type breath, roll over on your stomach. Can you tell I have been to a writers' convention today?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction.. I misspelled "shielding" in my previous comment. I do need an editor. I enjoyed reading about your last week in the field. Almost done!

    ReplyDelete