Friday, March 12, 2010

EVOL


Well for two weeks I've been in the "field" (fancy Army term for camping). In the 4 years I've been in the Army this field time was definately the most precipitation filled one yet. The only day it didn't rain was the day we arrived. After the first day I felt like Forest Gump as he described the rain in Vietnam.
I'm by no means complaining about the experience simply because its my chosen profession and I know theres going to be more field time in my career as an Infantry Officer. The whole point of us being out in the field was for us to hone our leadership skills and then be judged on how well we execute select missions using the techniques and tactics we learned. Aside from the rain the entire experience though tiring was very fun. In one particular mission the Officer Candidate that was selected to plan my mission totally botched it and I had 5 minutes to formulate a new plan which the other Candidate had 30 minutes to do. Stressed and trying to recover from the feeling I was set up for failure I pressed on with the quick plan I created. I somehow managed to accomplish the mission within the time alotted and had my men well concelealed from the enemy to the point we effectively ambushed them. I earned a generous amount of respect from the other 9 people in my squad because they admitted themselves that given the situation I was in, they would not have been able to do the mission successfully. After being outside in the rain from 6 am until 530 pm and having completed two missions with a graded leadership position I felt I had accomplished something regardless of how tired and broken I felt physically. The requirement is that an Officer Candidate get 2 satisfactory leadership evaluations out of a total of 4. With that said I have already passed this phase of OCS and now all thats left is 1 final Military History Exam followed by a PT test before graduation. Excitement is running through my veins in anticipation of it all especially seeing my wonderful wife again.
While away from the garrison area for 6 days I had no contact with my wife. Those 6 days allowed me to see even more clearly just how much I love my wife. While enduring "the suck" (nasty conditions that make you wish you were somewhere else) all I could think of was being back home with my wife and the warmth she provides me both physically and emotionally. Concentrating on being with her again helped me endure the cold wet mud and focus on getting the task at hand completed. I hope that everyone gets to experience that atleast once in their life while away from their wife. Rebecca provides me true inspiration even when we are cut off from each other simply because we are bonded together by intense LOVE.
Getting away from the emotional aspects of it all, there is something I have been pondering since I joined the Army. There are two terms that are used frequently when grading a soldier on a required task. Those terms are "GO" and "NO GO". I can only begin to imagine two cave men coming up to a fork in the road and saying "GO....NO GO??" I honestly do not see how those two terms could ever replace the two common words PASS and FAIL to guage performance of a required task. I suppose some mysteries will never be solved.
Now that I've jumped all over the place with this blog its time for me to find my nice stiff bunk and lay down for a good nights sleep so that I can be ready for another 4 days in the field next week. Be safe and have fun!

1 comment:

  1. It is great to be reading about your OCS adventures! We will be seeing you at graduation in just a few short weeks. Hang in there:)

    ReplyDelete